Monday, May 23, 2005

Flaming Feet

Woke up to rain Saturday morning, which pretty much blew my plans for getting my long run out of the way in the morning. It stopped raining by mid-morning, but by that time I had started in on some other projects around the house. Did a whole slew of errands around my neighborhood. I love living in Uptown because I did all this stuff in one trip, on foot:

  • mailed application to get my passport renewed
  • shipped a package by UPS
  • made some copies at Kinkos
  • stopped at used CD store (didn't buy anything, although I need to pick up the new M. Doughty release one of these days ...)
  • stopped at Library - checked out the Ani Difranco/Utah Phillips disc "the past didn't go anywhere". This disc is almost 10 yrs old, but somehow I'd never heard it until now.
  • sold two books to Magers and Quinn used bookstore
  • stopped at Lunds grocery for root beer
So by the time I finished all this, it was 3PM. Decided I'd better go for that run, if I planned on getting a long one in this weekend. Ended up running the ~20 mile Wirth loop that I normally bike. The last few miles were a death march - literally run a few blocks, walk a block. Probably didn't help that I only had 2 gu packs and 16oz of gatorade for fuel. Oh well.

Got home, showered, got a huge case of the chills/shakes when I got out of the shower. Unusual. Threw on nice warms sweatpants/sweatshirt, felt a little better. Ate dinner, started to feel like crap. Stomach felt all wrong. The last time I felt like this was after running Twin Cities marathon back in 2001. My stomach felt all wrong after that race, and even the post-race pizza didn't help.

Decided I was just going to stay in for the night, but didn't know what to do w/myself. Decided to work on a little art project that I'd thought of a few days earlier. I wanted to paint flames on the side of my roadie shoes. I had the paint from a previous project. Pulled up some photos of street rods online to get an idea of how to draw flames. Cut down some raised lettering from the side of the shoes w/my utility knife. Drew up some flames, and made a quick stencil. And a few coats of paint later, the obvious was made true to me ... I need something better to do with my time!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

If you'd used carbon fiber paint, they'd even make you a faster rider!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Lunatic Biker said...

Really nice flame job. The flames look factory installed.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Frick said...

I can't think of anything better to spend time on than useless little art projects!!

I think you should also build and install miniature chrome ram carburetor intakes to rise out of the toe box. Now that would make you faster.

3:39 PM  
Blogger equipoise said...

The flames make me faster only indirectly.

Look fast --> Feel fast --> Be fast

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home