Thursday, September 22, 2005

It's like blood doping, but in reverse ...

The bloodmobile came to work today, as it does every few months. I've never donated before (although I sold quite a bit of plasma during my poor college days.) Anyway, I figured it was time for me to donate some blood, since I'm done racing for the season. Seemed like a good thing to do.

Kind of forgot that I had plans to ride with Doug after work today. With the limited daylight nowadays, we did a truncated version of the Medicine Lake loop, for about 30 miles door-to-door. It didn't take long for me to realize that having fewer red cells was affecting my performance - the few small hills between my place and Wirth Parkway were leaving me a wee bit winded - not normal.

Once I was fully warmed up, things improved a bit, but after about 15 miles I really started draagggiiiinnnnngggggg. I was off my game, and serious efforts, like hammering downhill to hit 40.8mph, left me feeling totally spent.

The ride was still fun, and we finished just before dark, but a little more blood would have been nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home