Thursday, October 14, 2004

Bad Raleigh

Since I started participating in Critical Mass and Saturday Night Rides, I've been inspired by those riding fixed-gear bikes and I've been thinking about putting together my own fixie.

Then I remembered that I'd found an old Raleigh in the garbage 2 years ago. Problem is, I left it outside at my old apartment. So I swung by the old place, and lo and behold, it was still there! I freed it from a snare of old garden hoses, and walked it home. All I could tell from looking at it is that it's a rust-colored (but thankfully not very rusty) 3 speed of unknown vintage.

So I brought it inside, and started to look it over to see if it would be suitable for a fixie conversion. I laid it on it's side, drivetrain side up, to get a tooth count of the front chainring. (Can't remember the exact count, but it's more than 50.) Anyway, unbeknownst to me, while I'm counting there's a large quantity of rust-colored water draining from somewhere near the rear hub, all over my living room carpet. By the time I see it, it's the size of a dinner plate and spreading. So I tip Rusty back upright, and start cleaning up that mess. What nerve, I'm kind enough to bring it out of the cold, only to have it trash my place! Duh - I should have assumed the thing would be full of water after 2 years outside.

Anyway, from what I've learned it's a 1980's era bike. I have to take some frame measurements, crank measurements, and make sure the bottom bracket isn't hosed, but if all goes well I've got myself a fixie-worthy frame!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home