Friday, May 27, 2005

Shuttin' down Chuck E Cheese

My friend Jon (who's joined me on critical mass a few times) had a birthday on Thursday. His girlfriend arranged a surprise party at Chuck E Cheese, so about 10 of us showed up in advance. When the surprise was sprung, the look on Jon's face was not so much one of excitement, but rather confusion. Priceless.

I didn't get Jon a gift - I figured that the simple act of showing up at a party in a place that is crawling with small children (and therefore official qualifies as Hell in my book) was gift enough.

The video games at Chucky Cheese pretty much suck. They really suck. I was hoping for at least a vintage game or two (like Dig Dug, or Ms Pacman or Centipede) but no such luck. They did have skeeball though, which made up for it a bit I suppose.

On the second floor, there's a jungle gym/maze suspended from the ceiling, constructed of plastic modules bolted together that little kids can crawl through. Rupa wanted to check it out, so she and I decided to explore it. We made it up through a few of the modules before Rupa decided she was feeling claustrophobic and needed to get down. We had taken our shoes off before entering, and my shoes didn't even fit in the little shoe rack they had - this should have been a sign that we might have problems - this thing was clearly not built for adults, even relative small adults like Rupa and I.

Matt and Wipa brought their baby - it's in the 95% percentile for both height and weight - chubby little sucka. I didn't have to feign too much interest in the child since they're were enough other people there fawning over it.

Despite the lack of quality video games (and pizza that really wasn't that great) we ended up shutting down the joint - they were vacuuming and putting chairs up by the time we finally left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home