Friday, July 15, 2005

I am so dead

Lifetime Tri is tomorrow, bright and early. Just found out at packet pickup tonight that due to high water temps, wetsuits are not being allowed. For anyone.

I'm really pretty fucking irate about not being able to wear my wetsuit. Yeah, my wetsuit is a crutch, I'll admit it. With it on, at least I know that if I get into trouble on the water, it's impossible for me to sink. Without it, I'm just not comfortable. Given a choice between potentially overheating or drowning, I'll take the risk of overheating - since I don't believe that it's a risk in the first place.

They expect water temp to be 84 degrees, and USAT rules say that wetsuits are not allowed for 84 degrees or above. Never mind the fact that the water temp in Cozumel was 86 degrees, and after 20 minutes of snorkeling (without a wetsuit) I was chilled. I really don't think I'll overheat. Low body fat can be a real curse - you chill very easily in the water, and you sink like a brick.

I'm not a strong swimmer, in part because I'm bricklike, and it's not helped by the fact that I don't really like swimming, so I don't train much. I have enough to keep me busy w/biking and running. Case in point, I've been in the pool only twice in, oh, the past several months. Both times were within the past 5 days. Swam about 800 yards both times, with ample rest between 100's. The .9 miles tomorrow will be a challenge that I've never faced.

I can't even remember the last time I've been this annoyed/stressed/pissed/irate. This is so NOT me. But seriously, I've done warm-water open-water swim training in my wetsuit with no problems. I can handle it. Haven't I already signed enough disclaimers that their collective ass would be covered anyway?

I didn't pay $125 to enter this race, only to find that I can't race it as planned and spend the night worrying about this. I'm not even racing as an age-grouper - we entered the lame-ass "Friends and Family" division so we could race together despite being different ages, which automatically means we're not elegible for any awards, prizes, etc. So why should they give fuck if I wear a wetsuit?

This was supposed to be a fun event to do with my friends, and now I'll spend all night in a foul mood worrying about this. Sucks. I consider myself an endurance athlete, so I suppose I should suck it up and just demonstrate a little endurance.

Rant mode off.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

I'd say, based on the results, that the lack of a wet suit was a suitable handicap:) I'm thinking you weren't even challenged in the F&F category.

11:48 PM  
Blogger equipoise said...

I'm can't compare myself to the others in the Friends and Family division - I'm comparing against my 30-34 age division.

Compared to them, my time put me just outside the top 25% for my age group -about where I'd expect to be.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home