Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Bicycle Tour of Colorado - Day 3 – Gunnison to Montrose - 64mi

Two smaller climbs today, and some downhill. Shorter day, slept in a little and got a late start. Jen/Julie left without us. Gregg pulled John and I for the first 9 miles at 20mph into a headwind – incredible. Ride started out winding around a lake/reservoir – amazing scenery. I dropped John on the second climb due to his bum knee but we regrouped at the top and rolled into Montrose together on the sweet descent. Gregg and I met the girls at their hotel pool, grabbed some lunch at some barn restaurant just down the block. I had beef stew that was just perfect. Why shower when you can use the pool? I’m having an OK time on the bike this trip, but every ride really seems like work for me – more work than it seems it should. I’m just not trained for this, and the climbs, mileage, and altitude are taking their toll. I’m having a great time hanging out with everyone, but getting on the bike in the morning isn’t something I look forward to. The scenery is great, but I look too forward to getting done riding every day. Sunburned my calves today – didn’t bother to put sunscreen on them this morning since I was all bundled up, but my knee warmers left my calves exposed and they paid for it. Bluegrass band tonight was fun, and wished Kat would have been here hanging out in the evening grass, talking with everyone and listening to the music. Tomorrow is an uphill ride into Telluride, then a day off!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home