Saturday, May 28, 2005

Getting food instead of watching the Crit just made good sense

Not quite the turnout I expected for critical mass - I'm pretty sure we had more people last month. I mean, we still had many dozens of people, including one tall bike, and Dean Zimmerman was out pressing the flesh for his reelection campaign. I suspect the weather was a factor - the weather ended up being fine, but it was overcast and I suspect some people were thinking it might rain and stayed home.

The Mass didn't spend much time downtown, instead heading down Nicollet all the way to 28th St, then over to (I think) Bloomington north, before heading to the U via Washington.

I planned to ride for the first half of Mass, then leave the group and bike over to the Fairgrounds to watch a crit that was going on there. I figured I'd ride the Cervelo, since this would be too long of a trip for the snake scooter, and I've noticed some noise coming from the bottom bracket on my mtn bike recently. The Powercranks on the Cervelo always attract attention, which can be a curse and a blessing. A curse because I don't necessarily like the attention, but also a blessing because it does spark conversations with people I might not otherwise get to talk with. So it was tonight.

For some reason the Mass did a big U-turn on campus, at which point headed off, riding the dedicated "bus transitway" from the U to the fairgrounds which worked out pretty well. Only encountered one bus along the way - no problem. Got to the Fairgrounds and (I think) the Women's Cat 3 race was in progress. Watched a few laps before realizing that I was *starving*, then also realized I had to get up early for my last 20 mile run. Not eating the night before a 20 miler seemed like a really bad idea, so I didn't stick around long - headed back to Mpls to fuel up on a burrito, and turned in relatively early.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

That was you with the Powercranks? Dammit! I even had an opener for chatting with you. Want to hear it? It was "I didn't think a bike like that would even go this slow." Probably would have ended at that, though, like most of the other "conversations" I had with folks there. Tell me - is it my openers?

Damn though, dude - you are buff.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Sascha said...

He just wanted to be on his kewl bike when he showed up to watch all the racers...don't let him fool ya.

5:07 PM  
Blogger equipoise said...

OK, I'll admit it ... DC is at least half right on this one.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Sascha said...

That's one of the things I really like (and respect) about you. You're willing to fess about stuff like this. Most people would have just spluttered and protested.

And hey, I don't blame you. I wouldn'a rode my hybrid over there. :)

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home