Friday, October 15, 2004

Fear

Bunch of us went out to Indian Buffet for lunch today. I wouldn't necessarily have been invited, since I haven't been hanging out with the "lunch crowd" for a long time, but CB knew I like Indian food, so he made sure I got invited.

Anyway, lunch was fairly uneventful, except for me getting into a political discussion with Matt, who happens to be a Bush supporter. I have nothing against Matt in particular, but I've really grown tired of conversations like this - they sap my energy, and I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired about the path our country and our society are on.

But on the ride home, Unger throws out the question (to his carload of 5 dudes) "So, what do you fear the most?" This is *so* Unger, to toss out a random, deep question. Gotta love the guy.

I blurted something out, but in retrospect it's not correct, or even close to it, so I won't mention it here. Unger says he fears Death. The Unknown. I pondered this, and realized, surprisingly, that I don't think I fear death much. This isn't to say that I'm looking forward to it, or that I'd welcome it, but rather that I don't think it'll be a big deal. Another experience. Happens to everyone. Now, do I really feel this way, or is it false bravado? Am I somehow, in my current singleness, becoming hardened, or caring less? Is this a temporary condition?

But the question remains, what DO I most fear? I need to ponder this, and come back to this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home