Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The bus rocks my world

I'm a bit of an alternative transportation nut, as evidenced by many of my posts here - I own a little Honda, but I'd much rather walk, ride my bike (or kickbike for shorter trips around my neighborhood, < 2 miles or so), or ride the bus - I ride the bus to work almost every day, and various other places as well (downtown, campus, etc.)

Why do I love the bus, you ask???

1) It's super convenient - I literally have door-to-door service from home to work and back again.

2) It's much less stressful than driving - I often read or even catch some zzz's on the bus, and I'm usually pretty good at waking up before my stop (not always though - sometimes I sleep through my stop and wake up somewhere further down the line and end up either walking home or waiting for another bus running back in the opposite direction.)

3) When I'm on the bus, there's one less single passenger vehicle polluting and clogging up the roadways

4) you get to overhear (occasionally interesting) conversations. My favorites are cell phone conversations when the person is using codewords in hopes that others won't ascertain the real topic of their conversation. Like the guy who was bitching to a friend about his ex-girlfriend and the STD she gave him. Note to that guy: simply referring to an STD as "the gift" is NOT sufficient to keep people from knowing that your genitals are polluted. Get a clue, dude.

5) you get to see some pretty funny stuff. Story: Since the routes through south/southwest Minneapolis were restructured in December, the frequency of buses that could get me to work has decreased, and the remaining ones can be pretty packed. By the time the bus reaches my place, it's pretty full, and I often end up sitting up front near the driver. So one day, I'm sitting up front, and across from me sits a hispanic woman, with two seats open next to her on her right. The bus stops, and two middle aged, overweight women (OWW1 and OWW2) board. The less overweight of the two (OWW1) takes the open seat furthest from the hispanic woman, leaving about *half* an open seat between the two of them. OWW2 looks around for an open seat, then I hear her mutter, "I'll just squeeze in here" and starts moving to squeeze between OWW1 and the hispanic woman. In that split second, the hispanic woman realizes what's about to happen, and she bolts - I mean rockets - out of her seat to the back of the bus. You should have seen the look of fear on her face. FEAR. I had all I could do to stifle my laughter.

This, my friends, is why riding the bus rocks my world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home