Thursday, January 13, 2005

Injuries abound

Looks like the injuries are piling up on the broomball team. I started it off last week by bruising a rib (or pulling a rib muscle, or something) last Friday. My rib kept me off the ice for Tuesday nights double header, but our team suffered even more devastating injuries that night ... our fearless leader dislocated (then relocated) his shoulder, another guy torqued a knee, and another guy bruised a rib (yep - another rib injury). At this rate, one of us will surely die by season's end. That's assuming we have enough players to finish the season.

So anyway, my rib hurt a little on Saturday, and probably wasn't helped much when I carried that futon frame 6 blocks from the old apartment. The antics Sunday night had me laughing WAY too hard, and I think that aggravated it too. By mid week I was starting to feel OK ... then I went to spinning class, and I could feel it getting aggravated again, but we were in the middle of a 45 minute hill, and damned if I wasn't going to stick it out for the whole class. So I wrapped my chest in an ace bandage at home afterwards, in hopes of cradling it a little, but I don't know that it helped. Today, it's bothering me quite a bit. I think I set myself back a few days by doing that spin class. Stupid stupid stupid.

Observant people at work would notice that something's wrong with me - rather than opening doors by hand, I'm using the handicapped button to open them, something I NEVER do. There are only a few people at my workplace with physical disabilities requiring them to use the button - but TONS of other able-bodied people use the buttons anyway - just out of laziness, best as I can tell. Just how lazy does a person have to get before opening a door - for yourself - becomes too immense a task?!? I mean, when does that button begin to look enticing? And just how incredibly lazy have we as a species become?!? Why don't more people scoff at those button?

So, I'm a bit of a hypocrite today, but I really want to minimize stress on this rib in any way possible. Also trying to minimize laughing, sneezing, or coughing. Ugh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

Handicapped Buttons: What I've never understood is, how can they stand to wait for the door to open? They go out of their way to push the button to open the darn thing up and then they have to wait for the door to actually open before they can walk through. How lame do you have to be to take 30 seconds for a task that should require 5?

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home