Sunday, October 17, 2004

So Cold

I've been looking forward to tonight's Saturday Night Ride, especially since I missed last weeks ride and haven't been doing much except taking it easy on my 'nads lately. Unfortunately, it was very cold today (at least in contrast to the warm weather we're all currently acclimated to.) I did my best to dress for the weather, but my SPD shoes are a little snug, allowing for only one pair of wool socks, and even then my feet felt compressed. Figured it wouldn't be a big deal, since *surely* we wouldn't be heading out into the woods on a night like this. WRONG.

While some were in favor of doing a pub crawl, others were low on cash and couldn't swing it - they lobbied for a campfire (cheap fun) so off we went, heading south through campus and south Minneapolis. Stopped along the way to pick up Jeremy's brother Philip (who rides a very sweet Miyata he build up himself - a pimp ride indeed.) We road over Ford Parkway, then through St Cates and on to Macalaster for a beer break somewhere back by the track. Pretty quiet except for the periodic whooshing of a large windmill nearby. Patrick related his experience tangling with a car of punks some time ago - they starting throwing full, open beers at him out their car window, he retaliated by putting his Ulock through their rear window, he ends up spending three days in a burn unit for road rash after getting dragged under their car for like 100ft.

Anyway, by the time the beer break was over, I was freezing my ass off. Low body fat can in fact be a curse, at least when it comes to SCUBA diving and cold weather cycling. Philip had to work early, so when the others headed further into St Paul to build a campfire somewhere, he and I headed back to Mpls via Marshall St. This was good, because I hadn't had a chance to talk to Philip, and he seems to be an interesting guy. Philip works as a cook/chef at Three Fish. Turns out he and I share a disdain for the more aggressive, troublemaking attitude of some of the other riders. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks tipping over trash cans and running red lights isn't exactly exemplary behavior. But I'm feeling like I'm new to the group so I'm not rocking the boat yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home