Sunday, January 16, 2005

Todays winter lakes adventure

I love the frozen lakes - there's something about them that brings people together. What I mean is, there usually aren't many people out on the lakes. So you have something in common with whoever else is out there ... namely, that you're all crazy people who enjoy being out on the ice. There are a handful of bikes tracks out there, so I'm not the only one. But I was the only biker I saw out there today. Did see a roadie out on Calhoun Parkway though.

Today, I rode the 1/2 mile over to Bryant Hardware, then decided to take the long way over to Whole Foods via Lakes Harriet and Calhoun. On Harriet, talked briefly with a few people ... one couple who was giving some cross-country ski pointers to a novice skier ... the couple didn't have skis themselves, so it was funny watching them try to demonstrate the right way to do it. Talked to another guy who was out on the ice rink with his daughter ... he bike commutes until the temps drop below freezing, then puts the bike away until spring. I told him about the Oil is for Sissies blog and how it inspired me to bike more this winter, and he sounded intrigued.

These photos are all from Lake Calhoun this afternoon.


Spotted three golf balls, in very close proximity. I suspect they were hit from shore, and whoever hit them was pretty consistent - in real life, they all would have been on the green.



Don't know who you two lovebirds are, but your message is immortalized here. And I'm really sorry I rode my bike through it.



This is the pressure ridge on the east side of the lake that CB and I tried to take photos of last week when my digital camera wouldn't cooperate. It doesn't show up well in this photo, since it's now blown in with snow, and I think some of the ice has sublimated. This ridge spontaneously appeared one afternoon - my theory: The lake froze over when we had the first REALLY REALLY cold spell back in December. Then, when the temps warmed up a week later (back into the ~30 degree range) the ice expanded and was thrust up since it was trapped between the shorelines and had nowhere else to go.

2 Comments:

Blogger equipoise said...

Don't know if I saw that one, but I've read about something similar in either Canada or Siberia, I think. Whereever it is, it's so inaccessible that the only time of the year they can access it is during the winter, so they have this highway each winter where 18 wheelers (with many many trailers attached to each one) haul in a year's worth of supplies over the ice each season. Pretty wicked stuff.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'd hate to have one of those golf balls smack me upside the head when I'm out riding on the lake.

Where I grew up, on the north end of Lake Michigan, there were folks who'd bring logging trucks and equipment across the ice so they could cut on some of the islands that were inaccessible the rest of the year.

Jim

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home