Monday, January 17, 2005

Nice Rack

Another project where I could have just paid the $100-$120 bucks and purchased a solution. But why spend that money when you can use found materials, a little elbow grease, and about 8 hours of your own time, with the end result being something that is not only sturdier, but also has a higher level of satisfaction associated with it.

Thanks to Brian for talking me into using bolts to attach the support arms - the screws I planned to use never would have worked!



The starting point: a section of futon frame.



Broken down into piles of oak.



At this point, the project almost took off in a totally different direction.



The finished product - all racked up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Frick said...

How stable is that? If the answer is "very" then I might have to build my own once I buy a road bike which should happen shortly.

8:18 PM  
Blogger equipoise said...

The answer: very stable. I don't know that I could hang a human from it or anything, but it's more than enough for a few bikes.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jojo's right, the ladies love this sort of thing. instant crush! i thought i was here for the bikes, it turns out i'm here for the DIY guillotine...

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home