Saturday, February 26, 2005

Feb Mass Ride

I showed up 'round 5:20 or so, I think, and there were about 7 of us at that point, with Darkling Child being the only person I recognized. Wasn't looking super promising. But as I began to wonder just how big (or small) the mass would be, more riders started to trickle in (including Fritz, Gilby, Evil Chuck and Jennifer) until we had around 19 or so. Chuck showed up riding a red, white, and blue mtn bike I hadn't seen before, pulling a trailer containing the world's most laid-back puppy dog I've ever met. That dog has the bomb gig, to be sure - he get's the breeze in his face without so much as having to hang his head out the window - sweet. Although it's probably not totally without cost - probably gets a face full of slush once in a while, too!

I was hoping to meet Peter at the ride, as we've only met through the blogosphere so far, and he has a Stupor Bowl tshirt that he was going to send my way, but I didn't see him. Checking my email later, I discovered that he's still ailing and he's staying home instead of riding. Good idea.

Pace of the ride was a little more brisk than usual, and for a small Mass, we did a pretty good job of occupying all lanes in our direction, keeping left as necessary to keep autos from racing past. However, let the record show that I do not agree with the few massers who choose to occupy opposing lanes (riding against traffic) to prevent cars from crossing the center line and passing us when there is no opposing traffic. If one of goals of Mass is to promote the idea that bikes ARE traffic too, then we shouldn't prevent autos from crossing the center line and passing us when the opportunity presents itself. To not do so just makes us into huge pains-in-the-asses ... erm, I mean, even bigger pains-in-the-asses than we generally are. And apparently we generally are pretty big pains-in-the-asses, since one pedestrian gentleman on University informed us "If I had a shotgun I'd kill every last one of you sons-a-bitches." Interesting. And why a shotgun? Why not a 9mm or something? Must just be his weapon of choice, what he usually packs.

Anyway, I'm gettin' off the soapbox now. Of course, any masser can do whatever they want, but you won't see me riding in the opposing lane ever.

Afterwards, the remaining 6 or 7 of us swung by One-on-one, tried to hit Luce but the wait was too long, so ended up at Urban Wildlife for beers. Afterwards, the rest headed back to One-on-One, while Jennifer and I were starving and headed back to Uptown to grab some Thai foodies. All in all a good night.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gilby said...

Were people riding in the the wrong lane?! Geezus. Yeah, that's the kinda crap that totally turns people off to CM. It bugs the hell out of me. And yet I feel like people are better behaved on these small winter rides than on the big summer ones. Ugh.

7:20 PM  
Blogger equipoise said...

Yep. Near the end of the ride, when we were riding north along the east side of the river (before we turned west and crossed the bridge heading back into downtown) there were I think 2 dudes riding in the opposing lane to prevent the cars behind us from passing. So it was only for a short period of time - but still, it sucks.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home