Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Feeling less sluglike now

I feel much better now. Previously, I was feeling the way I feel when I haven't exercised for several weeks. Which is actually pretty strange, since I did get out for a roughly 26 mile ride with Darkling Child on Sunday, which was much needed and fun. But I had planned on going to spin class last night (got held up at work - goddamn Oracle database) and planned on running over lunch today (didn't - lazy?) So when I went to pottery class tonight, I packed my running clothes and told myself that I wasn't allowed to go home until I got a run under my belt. So I headed to the YWCA after class and spent 1/2 hour on the treadmill running an interval workout. I thought that treadmills maxed out at 6 minute/mile pace, but mine went faster. Not that I ran more than a 1/4 mile at a faster pace than that, mind you. But that fast last 1/4 mile allowed me to just complete 4 uphill miles in 30 minutes (including my warmup). Not too shabby for not having run for more than a week.

Pottery class is really cool, by the way. I think I've found an art form that meshes nicely with my technical nature. Unlike some other forms of artistry (like painting, drawing, etc) it's tactile, three dimensional, and includes elements of construction and design. I'm liking it a lot, working with my hands. Of course, so far I've just made (OK, I'm 3/4 of the way done with) a sort of crappy bowl using the coil method. But I tried to be methodical and focus on technique, rather than just trying to rush into a cool project. Other techniques like slab and draping seem even more interesting and cool, and I'll work on them next time, hopefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home