Thursday, January 20, 2005

Things you don't normally see in the city

I saw something tonight (while waiting for the bus to take me home from work) that I never expected to see in Edina. An American Red Fox. I worked later than usual, so I had to walk to a different bus stop than I normally would. I was waiting there around 5 minutes when I saw an animal running across a driveway on the other side of 76th St, maybe 20 yards away. My first reaction was to assume it was just a cat. But it was too lanky, it's tail too long and bushy. A car caught it in it's headlights, and it was clear then what it was ... rusty coat, long bushy tail with the characteristic lighter tip. Pretty crazy - in all my years growing up in rural WI, I think I saw one, maybe two fox. An unexpected surprise in an otherwise uneventful day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been seeing some fox(?) tracks for the past two days in the snow where I work, right across the river from downtown Mpls. I saw in the paper that folks in Eagan are having problems with coyotes. And I frequently see deer and deer tracks/feces right in South Mpls near my house. It's amazing to me that the wild animals don't seem to mind living in the city.
Jim

8:26 PM  
Blogger equipoise said...

Living in Madison, and also here, I was mostly aware of raccoons in the city (apparently many of them live in the storm sewers and come out at night). But apparently there's more urban wildlife than one would think. Makes my wonder what one would see if we were out and about in the middle of the night!?!

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home